Truro Township, just east of Columbus, Ohio, set out to build their first new fire station since 1947. Sited on a corner lot one block east of a major arterial street, the new 16,460 S.F., 4-bay fire station mediates between adjacent residential neighborhoods and a busy commercial district. The design provides a stately structure that is easily identifiable as a fire station and public building.
While the station was initially staffed with four firefighters and two offices for fire investigation and fire education, the facility is equipped with 10 bunk spaces and a duty office with a Murphy bed. The apparatus bays are comprised of three drive-through bays with a half bay that serves as battalion-chief parking, but is structurally designed to be expanded into a full fourth drive-through bay.
The facility includes offices for Fire Prevention and Education, an EMS treatment room for walk-in patients, conference room, living quarters for firefighters, kitchen, day room, and an exterior covered porch. Features for training purposes include a training room, which doubles as a secondary EOC for the City, a work-out room for Physical Fitness Training, areas for rappelling and bailing from a mock second floor window opening, and an area for confined space rescue.
“Brad and Joe took our realistic needs, many of our ‘wish list’ items and combined them into one grand design while staying within Truro’s budget.”
Barbara Strussion, Truro Township Trustee